Asian double eyelid surgery
East Asian blepharoplasty, also known as “double eyelid surgery”, refers to surgery designed to place a pretarsal crease in Asian eyes that are absent a fold. Patients typically desire to look more bright-eyed and want to make applying eyeliner easier. Patients also seek to remove the puffy and tired look associated with a fatty upper lid.
This applies to upper eyelids. This often results in an ‘aged’ appearance and the eyes appear ‘tired’.
WHO WOULD BENEFIT FROM EYELID REDUCTION (BLEPHAROPLASTY)
People who have:
- Excessive skin on the upper eyelid
- Eyelid without a crease (Single eyelid or Monolid)
- Excessive pockets of fat in the upper eyelids
YOUR SURGICAL JOURNEY
BEFORE THE OPERATION
- You will have at least 2 consultations before your surgery.
- During your first consultation the reasons for, feasibility and expectations of the operation will be discussed.
- Standard photographs will be taken with your consent.
- If you take aspirin or NSAIDS (e.g. Ibuprofen) then you should stop these at least 2 weeks prior to your surgery. These drugs thin the blood and predispose you to a higher risk of bleeding during and after the operation.
- If you are a smoker, you should stop smoking 2 – 4 weeks prior to your operation to help reduce the risk of wound healing problems.
DAY OF THE OPERATION
- You will be seen by Mr. Oudit in the morning of your surgery and he will have a chat with you. If you have any questions, he will be most willing to answer them. He will then place some marks on your face prior to the surgery.
- Your surgery will be performed under a general anesthetic which will be carried out by an experienced anesthetist.
- About 30-45 minutes prior to your operation you will picked up by friendly staff members and brought to the operating theatre suite.
- Your operation will be done in a safe and caring manner respecting your dignity.
AFTER YOUR OPERATION
- It is not unusual for you experience swelling, bruising and sensitivity to light following this operation.
It does get progressively better.
- You are advised to lie with your head elevated on at least 2 pillow height after the 1- 2 weeks and to refrain from strenuous exercises for up to 6 weeks.
- Mr. Oudit will then see you 1 week after your operation and then at 6 weeks and 3 months post-operatively.
- Surgery Time: 60-90 mins for upper eyelids
- Anaesthetic: Local Anesthesia (LA)
- Hospital Stay: Day case
- Time off work: 2 weeks
- Exercise: After 6 weeks/ul>