As we get older the skin loses its elasticity and the muscles become slack to a degree. In addition to this, other factors such as the cumulative effects of sun exposure and gravity leads to ‘aging’ of the face. Face-lift surgery is the ultimate facial rejuvenation procedure. It is a combination of delicate art and science. There are different types of face-lifts. They come in ‘small’, ‘medium’ and ‘large’ depending on the degree of laxity and the appropriate technique suitable for you will be discussed at the consultation.
A face-lift procedure maybe combined with blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery), brow lift, lip enhancement and/or chin implants to achieve a more rejuvenated appearance.
WHO WILL BENEFIT FROM A FACELIFT?
You are likely to benefit from a face-lift if you have ‘saggy’ skin over the face and neck with a tired facial appearance
The aim of a face-lift is correct this without making it very obviously but instead you should look younger and more cheerful
YOUR SURGICAL JOURNEY
BEFORE THE OPERATION
- You will have at least 2 consultations before your surgery.
- During your first consultation the reasons for, feasibility and expectations of the operation will be discussed.
- Standard photographs will be taken with your consent. You will play an active role in the selection of the right implant for yourself.
- If you take aspirin or NSAIDS (e.g. Ibuprofen) then you should stop these at least 2 weeks prior to your surgery. These drugs thin the blood and predispose you to a higher risk of bleeding during and after the operation.
- If you are a smoker, you should stop smoking 2 – 4 weeks prior to your operation to help reduce the risk of wound healing problems.
DAY OF THE OPERATION
- You will be seen by Mr. Oudit in the morning of your surgery and he will have a chat with you. If you have any questions, he will be most willing to answer them. He will then place some marks on your face prior to the surgery.
- Your surgery will be performed under a general anesthetic which will be carried out by an experienced anesthetist.
- About 30-45 minutes prior to your operation you will picked up by friendly staff members and brought to the operating theatre suite.
- Your operation will be done in a safe and caring manner respecting your dignity.
- At the end of the operation you will have a bulky dressing placed around your face, to minimize bruising and swelling, and you will be taken back to the ward.
AFTER YOUR OPERATION
- The day after your operation, the bulky dressing will be removed, and the wounds inspected. You will then be fitted with an elastic head bandage dressing. This is worn around the clock for the next 4 days and at nights for a further week.
- You are advised to lie with your head elevated on 2 pillow height for at least 2 weeks.
- Oudit will then see you 1 week after your operation and then at 6weeks and 3 months post-operatively.
- OPERATING TIME: 2 – 3 hrs
- ANAESTHETIC: General Anesthesia (GA)
- HOSPITAL STAY: 1 night
- TIME OFF WORK: 2 – 4 weeks
- TIME BEFORE EXERCISING: 6 weeks