Nipple correction surgery is performed to treat inverted or enlarged nipples. The technique used depends on the patient. Nipple correction surgery is carried out mostly under local anesthetic. Inverted nipples are corrected by making a small cut on the outer side of the nipple. Milk ducts are stretched, and the nipple is released from the duct. The nipple is then stitched back into position using a dissolvable suture.
WHAT IS NIPPLE CORRECTION?
- Areola Reduction
- Inverted Nipple
- Nipple Lift
UNSUITABLE PATIENTS FOR THE SURGERY
- Patients who are actively smoking or who have medical conditions like uncontrolled hypertension are generally unsuitable for this procedure.
- Patients who smoke should have ceased for 4-6 weeks prior to surgery and hypertensive patients would need to have had their hypertension treated prior
- This like any other cosmetic procedures, should not be considered in patients who have unrealistic expectations or body image disorders.
YOUR SURGICAL JOURNEY
BEFORE THE OPERATION
- You will have at least 2 consultations before your surgery.
- During your first consultation the reasons for, feasibility and expectations of the operation will be discussed.
- Standardized photographs will be taken with your consent before your surgery.
- If you take aspirin or NSAIDS (e.g. Ibuprofen) then you should stop these at least 1 week prior to your surgery. These drugs serve to thin the blood and predispose you to a higher risk of bleeding during and after the operation.
- If you are a smoker, you should stop at least 4 weeks prior to your surgery.
- Mr. Oudit will see you before your surgery. If you have any further questions you would like to ask him prior to the operation, he would be most delighted to answer these for you. He will then place some marks on your chest. This is an integral part of the process. About 30-45 minutes prior to your operation you will picked up by friendly staff members and brought to the operating theatre suite.
- Your operation will be done in a safe and caring manner respecting your dignity.
- Your operation will involve removing the excess skin using various plastic surgical techniques with the elevation and re-positioning of the nipple.
AFTER THE OPERATION
- You will be seen in the Outpatient’s clinic one week after your surgery. The dressings will be removed, and wounds inspected. You will then be seen the following week to ensure the wounds are healed and all is well. You will then be reviewed 3 months and then at 6 months later for the final time before discharge.
- Operating Time: 60-120 mins
- Anaesthetic: General Anaesthetic (GA)
- Hospital Stay: Day Case or 1 Night
- Exercise: After 6 weeks