Otoplasty (Ear correction surgery)
Otoplasty (Ear correction surgery) is cosmetic surgery to alter the size or shape of the ear or pin them back if they stick out.
With the surgery you will no longer need to hide your ears or shy-away from jewelry that draws attention to them.
YOUR SURGICAL JOURNEY
BEFORE THE OPERATION
- You will have at least 2 consultations before your surgery.
- During your first consultation the reasons for, feasibility and expectations of the operation will be discussed.
- Standard photographs will be taken with your consent before your surgery.
- If you take aspirin or NSAIDS (e.g. Ibuprofen) then you should stop these at least 2 weeks prior to your surgery. These drugs thin the blood and predispose you to a higher risk of bleeding during and after the operation.
- If you are a smoker, you should stop smoking 2 – 4 weeks prior to your operation to help reduce the risk of wound healing problems.
DAY OF THE OPERATION
- You will be seen by Mr. Oudit before your surgery and he will have a chat with you. If you have any questions, he will be most willing to answer them.
- Your surgery will be performed under a general anesthetic which will be carried out by an experienced anesthetist.
- About 30-45 minutes prior to your operation you will picked up by friendly staff members and brought to the operating theatre suite.
- Your operation will be done in a safe and caring manner respecting your dignity.
- The procedure is relatively straightforward. The operation begins with the surgeon making an incision just behind the ear in the natural fold where the ear meets the side of the head in order to expose the cartilage. The incision can also be made at the front of the ear, although surgeons tend to prefer making the incision at the back as scarring will be less visible. The cartilage and skin are then remodelled, and in some cases, part of the cartilage may even be removed. Once the ear has been remodelled to the appropriate shape and size, the surgeon will stitch up the initial incision with stitches. The operation is completed by bandaging the ears in order to protect them.
- It is possible to reshape the ears of infants using a non-surgical procedure, although this should be done as young as possible to provide optimum results. Splints are applied and taped in place to encourage the ear to grow into a more aesthetically pleasing shape. This usually doesn’t work on babies older than six months though as the cartilage has formed and become less malleable.
- It is a good idea to wash your hair before the procedure, as a large head bandage must be worn after the surgery and you will not be able to wash your hair for around a week. The procedure takes up to 2 hours and you will be in and out of the clinic on the same day.
- Surgery Time: 90-120 mins
- Anaesthetic: Local Anaesthetic (LA)
- Hospital Stay: Day case